Monday 13 January 2014

Health IT is no longer the future, it is the reality as a commodity


The most significant event for me in 2013 was attending and giving a presentation at the Health Informatics New Zealand (HINZ) 2013 Conference and Exhibition on 27-29 November in Rotorua. It was second time for me to attend the annual conference and the first time to give a presentation there. Actually it is my first peer-reviewed public presentation on an academic study.

Another first experience for me was that during the whole conference I experienced the power of the information technology in sharing information and connecting people at first hand as well as being explained, actively involved in discussing, and charged for presenting myself.

My presentation was about the role of Twitter in driving Japanese housewives' nuclear exodus from ordinary domestic life after losing faith in the health policies of the nation. Even so, it was a fresh experience of tweeting through the conference with some other active Twitters. I recorded it as retweet in the @HL7NZ Twitter account. Thus we are talking about what we can do hear and now rather than what we will be able to do somewhere or sometime. However, it had some drawbacks as some vendors saw less opportunities of technical developments of their own and were withdrawing from actively backing up pilot projects.

In the HINZ 2014 conference and exhibition, HL7 New Zealand is planning to host a competition of working health IT interoperability solutions according to realistic sample data sets and scenarios. I am thinking of participating myself. Like the MythBusters, I would not only tell the myth but put it into the test. I hope it would be proved as Plausible rather than Busted.

No comments:

Post a Comment