Saturday 4 January 2014

Taking wings


I wanted to be a pilot when I was a kid. If I was born in New Zealand instead of Japan, I think I would have chosen a career involving flying as a crew in some way or another. In reality, I became a pilot leading implementation of various health information systems and development of standards for them, meanwhile having earned a quite amount of flying miles in passenger seats.

When I started tinkering about computers more than a quarter century ago, flying in a home computer screen was a joke in today's standard. I was in a cockpit of a B-1 Nuclear Bomber penetrating deep into the Soviet territory for a doomsday sortie by controlling the supersonic bomber in CUI, character user interface which was not communicating through your avatar, but only typing text as commands and getting text as information and feedback.

I was really impressed by the beautiful graphics and dynamic actions when I found my children were playing War Thunder by Gaijin Entertainment. My son helped me out installing the game into my Mac and there I went - completing the training sortie and I enjoyed it throughly reliving the excitement of my childhood dream.

See you somewhere in the sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment